There are 3 important parts to creating a successful ad…
Today I want to talk about your ad targeting and what I learned about targeting from my trip to the Facebook offices in Texas.
With Facebook’s ad targeting, you can target SO many things – a million different interests and behaviors, so many demographics including age, gender, location, finances, and you can also exclude people based on any of this information as well. (For more on this, check out my blog post HERE. And if you want more info on different ways to target, check out my Facebook Ads 101 mini-course HERE. It’s only $47 and walks you through the step-by-steps of how to create what I have found to be the 3 most effective types of ads.)
If you’re just starting out with Facebook Ads, you’re probably gonna start with basic targeting – like age, gender, location and a few interests. But once you have a group of at least 100 people from a country, you can create a Lookalike Audience.
Lookalike Audience = Because Facebook’s algorithm is brilliant, it is able to look at your audience, and then find millions of others on Facebook who share similar traits.
Essentially you’re creating a new audience that look’s like your current fan base.
You can create a Lookalike Audience based on:
• Page fans: Use Lookalike Audiences to create an audience based on people that like your page.
• Custom Audiences: Upload a list of your existing customers using Custom Audiences. Then use Lookalike Audiences to find people that resemble that audience.
• Website visitors: Install a Facebook pixel on your site. Then create Lookalike Audiences based on people who’ve visited specific pages on your website.
Wanna know a secret? I use Lookalike Audiences ALL THE TIME. Consistently, they give me the lowest costs per conversions.
Here’s a little sneak peak of some ads I’m running for my family’s business. These are all ads for conversions, where I am growing our email list by giving my mom’s e-book in exchange for someone’s email.
In this case, I’m looking for a cost per conversion (CPC) of under $3.00. As you can see, with these 5 ad sets, I’m getting an average of $1.12 per conversion, meaning essentially I’m paying $1.12 for each person who joins our email list.
I title my ads in ways I can remember – so you can see all of my ad sets include the words ‘Lookalike.’
That’s because all of them are different Lookalike Audiences I’ve created and am using in my ads. The first is a Lookalike Audience for Kare’s High Frequency Wellness – our main Business Page.
The 2nd is a Lookalike Audience for the Business Page I <3 Natural Health.
The 3rd is created from the Business Page Holistic Health is Awesome.
The 4th I created a Lookalike based on a Custom Audience I uploaded of people who signed up for our email list and got our lead magnet ebook.
The 5th is based on Website Visitors to a specific webpage.
Here’s how to create a Lookalike Audience for yourself.
1. Go to your Ads Manager – www.facebook.com/ads/manage Select ‘Ads Manager’ in the top left corner.
(If you have not previously created any ads, it may force you to create an ad before you can actually view your Ads Manager. If this is the case, I suggest getting my Facebook Ads 101 mini-course to show you how to create some ads before moving on to Lookalike Audiences.)
2. Select ‘Audiences’
3. Select Custom ‘Audiences’
4. Select ‘Lookalike Audeince’
5. Here’s what you will see.
6. Select your Source. In this case, I chose my Business Page – Jenn Possick.
Select your Country. Note: You need at least 100 people in your source audience from that country.
7. Select your Audience Size. The lower the percentage, the more targeted that audience will be. Then select ‘Confirm.’
8. Your audience will take up to 30 minutes to be ready to use in an ad.
9. When your Lookalike Audience is you’ll get a notification. Then you can target your Lookalike Audience in your next Facebook Ad.
Okay, so I’ve been using Lookalike Audiences for awhile now. This was not new info for me. So, you might be wondering what I learned at Facebook about this.
I learned that there’s an even better way, more advanced way to create a custom audience!
When creating a Lookalike Audience, you can decide if you want to create an audience of 1% of the population of a country up to 10%. The lower the percentage, the better targeted the audience will be.
You know I love this and I love Lookalikes, but while I could create an audience of 1% of the population or 2% of the population, I didn’t think I could create a separate audience of just the 1%-2% or just 2%-3% of a population. I was wrong.
You can easily create separate percentage Lookalike Audiences! Here’s how:
Note: Until a few days ago, you could only create this advanced audience in Power Editor. With Facebook’s newest change to Ads Manager, you can create this from either Ads Manager or Power Editor! How cool is that?!
1. Follow the same steps as before to create the Lookalike Audience. When you are getting ready to create your Lookalike Audience, select ‘Show Advanced Options.’
2. With this, you can create multiple Lookalike Audiences of different percentages!
3. You can create up to 6 different Lookalike Audiences at once.
4. And you can move the percentage circles until you create the Audience percentages you want.
5. Once your audiences are created, you’ll have multiple Lookalikes you can use. Here’s an example of the Lookalike Audiences I created while at Facebook.
There you go! Advanced Lookalike Audiences.